Monday, August 8, 2011

Beginning the packing process


For the trip to China, I got two new (and very pretty) Samsonite suitcases. They're a really neat purple color, so hopefully they'll be easy to spot in crowded airports. One is a 30 inch spinner and the other is it's matching 26 inch spinner, even though it looks significantly smaller than 26 inches in the picture.



I'm really happy with both of them. They're part of Samsonite's newest line of luggage and they open up really deep on the inside. Plus, my last Samsonite set that my grandparents bought for me when I was about 10 lasted all the way until this Spring Break, and even then, the only thing that started to break on it was the pull-up handle. There was only minimal fraying. Hopefully this set can last me pretty long as well!

I'm trying to keep a running list of what I'm packing and how much everything weighs, in the hopes that it will help someone in the future.. And maybe that someone will see my list and give me any advice they may have!
So far, I've only packed the smaller one. It weighs about 45 pounds right now, and this is what I've fit into it:
  • Theta sweatshirt
  • Black sweater dress
  • Grey & navy cardigan
  • Dark grey cardigan
  • Pale pink cardigan
  • Purple cardigan
  • Teal cardigan
  • Juicy tracksuit
  • 2 sets of workout pants
  • 1 pair of black leggings
  • Black tiered skirt
  • Grey pencil skirt
  • Navy pencil skirt
  • Brown pencil skirt
  • Pink patterned skirt
  • Black cowl neck top
  • Grey cowl neck top
  • Grey & black tiered tank
  • Grey tiered tank
  • Layered/tiered grey shirt
  • Black dress pants
  • Tan jacket
  • Navy jacket
  • Black jacket
  • Red, black, and white jacket
  • Black cardigan
  • Red tee
  • White cap sleeved sweater
  • 2 black cap sleeved sweaters
  • Black v-neck
  • Black tiered-sleeve tee
  • Purple dress top
  • Black ribbed tank
  • Purple ruffle top
  • Purple tank
  • Grey shirt
  • Black tee
  • Grey cap-sleeved sweater
  • 750 Q-tips
  • More tampons than you'd care to know about
  • A package of pads
  • 160 cotton squares for removing make-up
  • 5 packs of face cleaning wipes
  • Body wash
  • 2 sticks of deodorant
  • Tums
  • Pepto Bismol
  • 2 bottles of eye makeup remover
  • Toothpaste
  • 5 bottles of Afrin
  • A pack of hairties
  • 2 regular sized bottles of shampoo and conditioner
  • 2 boxes of nasal decongestant
  • Breathe right strips (I get a lot of sinus infections)
  • Dramamine
  • A package of earplugs
Plus side: I fit a LOT more in that bag that I originally thought I would. Almost all of the cosmetics/toiletries I've been hoarding all summer fit into the suitcase, plus 3 big bags of clothes. (Packing tip: I put almost everything into big ziploc baggies. You can take most of the air out of them, and thus take up a lot less space with your clothes. The only downside to this is that you usually end up overpacking and exceeding the weight limit because your clothes are so much smaller).

Down side: I haven't put any shoes into the suitcase yet. I know that my shoes are going to be the things that end up weighing me down the most. I do have a decent sized carry on, and I plan on transferring a lot of clothes to that bag if need be. I'm taking a big carry on and my enormous Louis Vuitton purse on the plane, so I'll be able to fit a lot of stuff in there. And, if I need the space, I can take out a lot of the cardigans and more wintery clothes and have my parents FedEx those later.

All in all, I'm surprised with how well this first packing experience went. No emotional breakdowns yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment