Thursday, September 1, 2011

I can never be scared of public speaking

Today, I had to give a speech to a crowd of over 7,000 people. Sweet deal.

So, Mr. Dong has asked me to write a speech to deliver at the school's Opening Ceremony this year. I said I would. I had about a half hour to write it before this lady stopped by to pick it up to translate. Alright, that's whatever. I'm pretty good at making stuff up quickly that sounds nice.

I got to the track today, which was where the "assembly" was, and it was a sea of lavender. All of the children lined up in nice, neat rows, by their class. They each had their own little stool that they placed on the ground behind them, and then stood until the speaker at the front acknowledged them and told them to sit down. I think he did it by grade, because only certain groups sat down at certain times. I was under the impression that I would be standing off to the side, and then when it came time for me to give my speech, I would walk up to the platform. Wrong. I was at the main table, right next to the headmaster. My speech was definitely the shortest of all of theirs, and I'm okay with that. Lauren taped it, so once I get my camera cord sent to me, I'll try to post it. It wasn't anything too special, just how honored we are to be here, blah, blah, blah.

Other fun facts about my school:
- There are roughly 7,000 children and 500 faculty
- About half of the students live in dormitories on campus
- The girls must cut their hair short, because the headmaster believes that long hair takes too long to style in the morning, and the less time girls focus on their appearance, the more they can focus on schoolwork. I've seen a total of 2 girls with ponytails at the school so far.

Tomorrow are my "advanced" classes, so we'll see how those go.

No comments:

Post a Comment